Ricardo’s Internal Combustion Engines – Basic course is taught by an experienced Ricardo engineer and senior engine build technician with a mixture of classroom and practical sessions.
This popular 1 day basic engines course is perfect for anyone looking to gain a basic understanding of how internal combustion engines work.
This training course is frequently attended by people in the following roles:
- Quality Assurance
- Purchasing / Procurement
The topics covered in this basic engines course are as follows:
- An introduction to the operation, main systems and components of light duty internal combustion engines:
- Combustion Engines
- Internal Combustion Engine Cycles
- Gasoline vs. Diesel
- Engine Systems and Components
- The Engine Rebuilt
- Cost and Weight
- A workshop session to become familiar with engine components and their applications through the dis-assembly of a light duty gasoline engine. The Ricardo engineers will provide expert commentary and answer your questions during this practical sessions where you will be able to handle engine components as the engine is dismantled. Key Diesel components will also be available for comparison and commentary.
- Important: Safety shoes and suitable clothing are recommended to be worn for the practical session and not provided by Ricardo. Safety glasses and gloves are provided by Ricardo on the day.
Includes a site tour of Ricardo and the McLaren engine build facility.
Looking to extend your knowledge further? Why not attend the 2 day Internal Combustion Engines – Advanced course as well as the basic.
Looking to extend your knowledge further? Why not attend our other technical training courses and gain an invaluable insight into the following subject areas:
- Turbocharging & Boosting Systems
- Diesel & Gasoline Engine Calibration
- Internal Combustion Engines – Advanced
- Automotive Transmissions – Advanced
- Automated Transmissions
- NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness)
- Hybrid & Electric Vehicles (1 day)
- Hybrid & Electric Vehicles (2 day)
Do you work in the automotive industry but have limited knowledge on internal combustion engines? Ricardo Knowledge’s brand new online version of the popular internal combustion engines – basic course is now available: (Click on the image below to find out more)
“An excellent day, one of the most enjoyable and interesting training courses I have attended. A great deal of information imparted without being overwhelming. I will certainly look to attend another event in the future” – Patent Attorney, Venner Shipley LLP
“Excellent Course – the hands on training is very useful” – Team Leader, Lubricant Development – Infineum
“Very well delivered and excellent material. A very professional day” – Transmissions Engineer – SAIC Motor UK
“Extremely useful course, ends on a fun note disassembling a engine in a workshop. Really valuable to be able to physically see what you have learned about” – Automotive Lubricant Trends Manager, Shell
Internal Combustion Engines – Basic
Please arrive promptly for 08.45
Start – 09.00
Finish – 17.00 – 18.00
Important: Safety shoes and suitable clothing are recommended to be worn for the practical session and not provided by Ricardo. Safety glasses and gloves are provided by Ricardo on the day.
Lunch is provided
London Gatwick: 35-45mins by car (depending on local traffic conditions) – BBC Traffic, AA Traffic
London Heathrow: 1hr 15-2hrs by car (depending on local traffic conditions) – BBC Traffic, AA Traffic
Shoreham Train Station is 5-10 minutes drive by car/taxi
All rail travel can be booked via the following:
The Train Line
Access to Ricardo’s Shoreham Technical Centre by car is only by the A27. Take the Shoreham Airport exit off the A27. From the Shoreham town side (east) of the River access is purely by foot across the wooden toll-bridge.
Accomodation / Hotels:
The Brighton Mercure
The Brighton Metropole
The Brighton Grand
The Brighton Jury’s Inn
The Brighton Holiday Inn
Best Western Tollgate Upper Beeding
The Bridge Inn Shoreham By-Sea